Latest News

Govt falling short on its Health Care manisfesto

March 20, 2019 8:00 am

By Moses Kyeyune.

The ruling National Resistance Movement is still grappling to deliver its promises on the country’s health cover.

On a number of campaign rallies in over a decade, President Museveni has promised to have a fully equipped hospital facility in every district, a Health Center IV per constituency and a Health Center III for every Sub-county.

However, in the State of Health Report presented to Parliament, the minister of Health Dr Jane Aceng highlights that 39 districts have no single hospital while 29 constituencies are operating without a health center IV.

A hospital by government standards is estimated to serve at least 500,000 people while a Health Center IV is designed to accommodate up to 100, 000 people.

In the report by Dr Aceng, 132 sub-counties have no single health facility.

Categories: ,

7 companies suspended over fraud

March 19, 2019 4:30 pm

By Damali Mukhaye.

The Uganda Revenue Authority has suspended seven import clearing companies over suspected fraud.

This is after the tax body apprehending a person who has been impersonating as a clearing officer to defraud unsuspecting traders.

According to the URA Assistant Commissioner Trade James Kisaale, the imposter has been working with different registered companies to fleece importers.

He says proprietors of the said companies have been summoned to explain their relationship with the imposter and if found culpable, their licences shall be cancelled.

Categories: ,

WFO speaks out on suspected food poisoning

March 19, 2019 3:30 pm

By Damali Mukhaye. 

The world food program has spoken out on the suspected food poisoning they supplied to health centers and some refugee camp saying that they have also dispatched an independent investigations into allegations.

This followed the death of three people  and hospitalization of over 200 people from napaka and Amudat in karamoja region after consuming the super cereal fortified food that was supplied by the world food program.

Addressing journalists at media center, the WFP country director El-Khidin Dallom Says that they procured the cereals from three countries including Italy, Belgiumand Turkey, but the country that supplied the suspected poisoned cereal was from Turkey.

He also dismisses the media report that the food was donated, saying that it was just procured.

He however notes that they can not conclude that the food had the poison since the food was supplied in eight districts but only two are affected asserting that they await results.

Related Stories…………

Officials in the WFP food poisoning incident to be held accountable

Categories: ,

Nambooze to Petition Kabaka over New NRM Caucus

March 19, 2019 3:00 pm

By Ivan Ssenabulya.

Mukono Municipality Member of Parliament Betty Nambooze has asked Buganda kingdom to deny the NRM’s new Buganda caucus recognition.

National Resistance Movement (NRM) Legislators at their Kyankwanzi retreat elected Kabula county MP James Kakooza as the new caucus chairperson among other office bearers, which Nambooze says is not ligament.

Nambooze says this is aimed at causing confusion and commotion to weaken the kingdom.

She says the recognized Buganda caucus is one chaired by Mukono South MP Johnson Muyanja Ssenyonga.

Categories: ,

Museveni asked not to approve loan

March 19, 2019 2:00 pm

By Prossy kisakye.

Kawempe division mayor Dr Emmanuel Serunjogi has expressed disappointment with parliament for approving the 1.3 trillion shilling loan for construction of a specialized hospital in Lubowa, Wakiso District.

Parliament last week passed the loan which will be given to an investor to construct the hospital government says will be for treatment of Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs).

Serunjogi says government should instead concentrate on rehabilitating the existing hospitals in the country other than borrowing such a huge amount for a private investor.

President Museveni addressing the NRM parliamentary Caucus in Kyankwanzi last week applauded the members for passing the loan .

Categories: ,

Kitatta co-accused was not given a gun by police

March 19, 2019 10:34 am

By Ruth Anderah.

Senior superintendent of Police Nixon Agasirwe has denied ordering the issuance of an AK 47 machine gun to a one Sowali Ngobi who was arrested alongside boda boda 2010 patron Abdullah Kitatta.

Agasirwe who has been a defence witness has shocked court when he repeatedly emphasized it that as he was still the commandant of Special operations in Uganda Police he only ordered for the issuance of a Star Pistol to Ngobi Sowali but didn’t do anything beyond that as Ngobi had told court earlier.

During cross examination by the state prosecutor Lt col Raphael Mugisha Agasirwe said that he didn’t put in writing his order to the armory man who issued out the said pistol.

However this morning Agasirwe accepted giving Karata guards and guns on orders of General Kale Kayihura the IGP by then, although he couldn’t prove it to court by any written proof since he claims that it was through a verbal communication.

Now the matter has been adjourned to March 25th when more defense witnesses who include Old Kampala Police Armory man, Vinetea Hotel manager and Allan Matsiko who was a second guard to Kitatta.

Kitata and 9 others are facing six counts of unlawful possession of firearms, unlawful possession of military stores and failure to protect war materials allegedly committed in January 2018.

The offences attracts a maximum sentence of death upon conviction.

Related Stories……….

Kitatta denies being a member of Bodaboda 2010

Categories: ,