At least 19 Dead in accident along the Kapchorwa-Bulambuli roadDecember 18, 2018 7:54 pm
By Ivan Ssenabulya.
Police has confirmed that at least 19 people have died following an accident that occurred this evening at Soei village in Sipi town council along the Kapchorwa-Bulambuli road in Kapchorwa district.
The driver of a bus registration number UG 2833/E belonging to Kiryandongo Technical Instituteis suspected to have lost control and it overturned killing several passengers instantly.
According to Sebei region police spokesperson Rogers Taitika, the bus was carrying staff of National Cooperate Business-Link of USA, an NGO based in Kiryandongo, who were from a tour in Kapchorwa.
He says the retrieved bodies and survivors have been taken to various hospitals as investigations into the cause of the accident continue.
Quin Abenakyo to receive a hero's welcomeDecember 18, 2018 7:48 pm
By Damali Mukhaye.
Miss Uganda Quiin Abenakyo who was crowned as Miss World Africa at the 2018 Miss World finale in China returns back into the country tomorrow; with the Uganda tourism board slated to receive her back as a heroine.
The deputy chief executive officer of the board John Ssempebwa on Tuesday told journalists at the Uganda Media Center that she will be received as a heroine after she lifted the flag of the country high in China.
He said that after receiving her from Entebbe international airport, Abenakyo will be drive straight to State house to meet president Museveni and the first family
He said that the Minister of Tourism will then announce the position she will be holding in the tourism board among other benefits she will get from the government during her meeting with the President at State house.
Abenakyo lands at Entebbe airport at 1.30 pm Thursday.
DP demand FDC withdrawal from IPOD if they can’t respect MOUDecember 18, 2018 7:46 pm
By Ivan Ssenabulya.
Democratic Party have hit at FDC demanding that they withdrawal from the Inter Party Organization for Dialogue, if they can’t respect the MOU of IPOD.
The party secretary General Gerald Siranda who was responding to FDC who absented themselves from last week’s IPOD summit, the summit is an organ of the organization they had to attend.
He has expressed disappointment for FDC’s absence because they had fully participated in the earlier processes.
Siranda says the summit was a great opportunity for them to engage the NRM chairperson Yoweri Museveni on the long desired national issues.
Betty Kamya appoints Andrew kitaka as acting director for KCCADecember 18, 2018 6:32 pm
By Damali Mukhaye.
The Minister for Kampala Betty Kamya has appointed the director engineering Eng Andrew kitaka as the acting director for the Kampala capital city authority.
His appointment comes days after the former ED Jennifer Musisi handed over the office to Kamya.
In a press statement released this afternoon, kamya says Kitaka will ensure continuity and smooth running of the city as they await the appointment of another director by President Yoweri Museveni.
She however says Sam Sserunkuruma who is the acting deputy director retains his title also until his replacement is announced.
Pay for blood, Ministry PS tells private hospitalsDecember 18, 2018 11:53 am
BY NOBERT ATUKUNDA.
The Ministry of Health permanent secretary Dr Diana Atwine has asked blood banks to consider charging private hospitals service fees for supply of blood units.
She said private hospitals collect free processed blood from blood banks but sell it to patients claiming the payment is “processing fees”
Speaking at a handover ceremony of a donated van to Mengo hospital, DrAtwine added that the proposal to charge private hospitals processing fees is not intended to make profit but rather sustain the long procedure of processing blood.
She said it will also go a long way in sharing the burden of blood processing costs.
Dr Frank Kakuba, the head of Mengo Rotary Blood Bank, said they will discuss DrAtwine’s proposal and make a decision.
Processing one unit of blood goes for 40 dollars
Kabamba attackers granted amnestyDecember 18, 2018 11:50 am
By Ruth Anderah.
Nine people facing treachery charges in relation to attacking of Kabamba Barracks have been set free by the General Court Martia; chaired by Lt.Gen. Andrew Gutti.
Lt.GenGutti ruled that they cannot go-ahead for trying the nine suspects after receiving a letter from the amnesty Commission indicating that they were granted amnesty unless they have any other criminal offences.
The nine include Nassim Namuzimule, Marvin Ssemwogerere Kato, Sgt Ndugga Musaazi, Ali Mukiibi, Lumala Salongo, Herbert Biyimbwa, Francis Kiwanuka Kaheru,Solomon Matovu and Peter Kibirige.
Prosecution led by Major Raphael Mugisha had alleged that the applicants above with others still at large between the months of February and May 2013 in the various places of Kampala, Wakiso, Masaka, Luweero and in Nairobi Kenya, consciously omitted to disclose vital information about recruitment of people to engage into activities intended to prejudice the security of the defense forces by attacking the armoured warfare barracks in Mubende district.