Government investigates deaths threats at Congolese Embassy

Mr. Fred Opolot, Foreign Affairs Spokesperson
Mr. Fred Opolot, Foreign Affairs Spokesperson

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs says it has launched investigations into the death threats to officials at the Congolese embassy in Kampala.
This follows recent finger-pointing between Kampala and Kinshasa over the arrest of opposition activist Sam Mugumya.
There have been contradictions over the reason for the Mugumya’s arrest with the UPDF claiming that he was arrested over alleged involvement in rebel activity, while the Congolese government claims he is being held for illegal entry into the country.
The Ministry’s spokesperson Fred Opolot says by last week the embassy had logged a complaint of the diplomats receiving “anonymous” threatening calls.
Opolot says the safety of the embassy and all its employees is Uganda’s responsibility and that security has now been beefed up at the embassy.

The arrest of Mugumya, an aide to former Former Forum for Democratic Change leader Dr. Kiiza Besigye has sparked outrage from members of the opposition.

Under the For God and My Country (4GC) pressure group, a section of the opposition led by the group’s coordinator and Masaka Municipality Member of Parliament Mathias Mpuuga is set to travel to the Congolese capital Kinshasa on Thursday this week to try and secure Mugumya’s release.