Government committed to providing clean and safe water

By Benjamin Jumbe

The government has expressed commitment to increasing access to clean and safe water across the country.

Currently, only 67% of Ugandans can access clean and safe water leaving out 33% of the population.

On the other hand, Uganda has 79% sanitation coverage leaving out 21% of the population.

Speaking at the launch of the second Uganda WASH media awards initiative, the minister of water and environment Sam Cheptoris said the government is pushing to have 100% coverage by 2020.

He said as part of measures to ensure increased access, he had directed National Water and Sewerage Corporation to reduce the cost of a Jerican of water for the rural population to 50 shillings.

Meanwhile the Project officer of the national hand washing Initiative Sarah Rubereti Omodi said the awards are aimed at promoting coverage of WASH issues in the media.